Inspired by AXE’s new Ice Chill products, AXE and Marvel have joined forces to create a new set of super heroes, The Fresh-Men — a collective of seemingly normal high-school students with super abilities meant to inspire teens everywhere to stay chill. These new heroes show how young guys and girls are their most confident and attractive when they’re confidently cool.
Starting today, AXE and Marvel fans will be able to watch this crew in action in the first chapter in an all new five-part video comic series online at AXE.com/Marvel. The Fresh-Men is a story that takes place at the Future Minds School of Science & Technology, one of the Wakanda outreach academies for inner city youth.
Working together to use their hidden powers for good (and fun) while navigating their own complex high-school world, the stories follow:
- Damian Garcia (Burner) – Damian is fireproof and can generate heat biologically, blasting projectiles of fire from his hands.
- Alyssa Jordan (Windchill) – Alyssa generates cold, which manifests as wind or ice. She can also make water from the moisture in the air, or steam if she works together with Damian’s fire powers.
- Danny Lee (Kid Vanish) – Danny can make himself invisible, and while in this state he can pass through most solid objects. This power conflicts sharply with his desire to be the center of attention.
- Emily Everheart (Override) – Emily has the power of communication. The nanobots coursing through her blood enable her to understand and speak any language on Earth – including computer languages.
- Tyrell Taylor (Doubletime) – A superior athlete, Tyrell can either move really fast or slow down time, depending on who you ask.
Making a cameo in the comics is rapper and actor, SuperDuperKyle, who previously partnered with AXE for its high school Senior Orientation program. KYLE will be joining AXE and Marvel at San Diego’s biggest annual comic and pop culture festival at the Interactive Zone on July 20th to meet fans, introduce The Fresh-Men and sign copies of the limited-edition comic book alongside the AXEmobile.
The Fresh-Men comic will also have an exclusive, complementary new soundtrack, produced in partnership with Mass Appeal – The Fresh-Men Mixtape featuring Dave East, Kodie Shane, 070 Phi, D Savage, Louis IV and Akilz Amari with original songs inspired by the characters and their superpowers. Fans can stream the mixtape starting today on Spotify and at axe.com/marvel.
Today’s fans are constantly eager for more content from their favorite stories through numerous formats, whether it’s live shows, digital streaming, mobile games, print activations, and more. At the same time, the media landscape continues to get more fragmented and offer more ad-free options. Inspired by proprietary research (a part of media agency Mindshare’s Media Dystopia series that explores the power of franchise properties, fandom, and interconnected stories) and work by AXE, the brand is providing fans more content and experiences from their favorite stories that connect with consumers in a deeper way.
“Comic books are awesome storytelling vehicles for our teen fans, so working with Marvel was a no-brainer. AXE believes attraction and confidence are powers guys can tap into everyday to be their best selves, so creating a team of young super heroes who routinely flex that confidence when facing adversity is a perfect way to reinforce this belief to our guys,” said, Mark Lodwick, Brand Director of AXE. “Also by creating a mixtape, we drew on our fans love of hip hop to further explore these characters and extend the experience, fun and enjoyment of the Fresh-Men to our fans.”
To stay up-to-date on The Fresh-Men, to stream the mixtape and be the first to know about exciting offers from AXE, follow @AXE on Twitter, Instagram and visit axe.com/marvel. Fans who sign up with their email address on the AXE website will receive a free 30-day trial subscription to Marvel Unlimited*, where fans can unlock the Marvel Universe and get access to 25,000+ comics.